Tuesday 21 February 2012

Questions On Gay Marriage

I have two questions about gay marriage. 

1. Why is it that it has only become an issue in the last few years, suddenly gripping the public conscience? 

2. Aren't there many more important things governments need to be worrying about? 

I should clarify my position. I view gay marriage sort of the same way I view fairy floss and pony rides. Neither have caused any lasting harm to society, nor have they had any lasting benefits. 

I support the right of people to get married, just as I support the right of people to ride ponies. I just think it is an issue that can wait. I also don't think it's that important.  

Is it going to help anyone? 

How many gays in Iran are going to be spared unjust torture and execution if gay marriage laws are passed? 

I should finish by saying that I don't think a gay person needs to have their love for their partner "validated" by the government. As a libertarian, my view is that the government should stay out of people's relationships. 
Legalising gay marriage would only give the government a stronger hold on another section of the community.  

Gays should be allowed to marry. They just shouldn't put themselves at the mercy of the government. 

Don't let your government define love.     

No comments:

Post a Comment