Saturday 13 October 2012

Armstrong Still a Hero in My Eyes

Yes, I strongly believed that Lance Armstrong was innocent of doping allegations. No, I wasn't in denial. Yes, I suspected an anti-American conspiracy from French cycling snobs who couldn't stand to see an America take seven Tour titles. But now, after a week of revelations from even Armstrong's fellow team members that he took banned substances, even I am compelled to accept that he cheated.

The memories of cheering on this heroic man are etched in my mind. Now, the revelations come like a thud to the guts.

He might have lost his seven tour titles, but one victory that can never be taken away from him... beating cancer - twice. This is Armstrong's greatest victory. And it will always remain. To many, that is what made this man. The doping controversy takes nothing away from the fact he had the heart and the will to survive when death came riding in to claim him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment